Rakhiv is a green fairy tale of Hutsulshchyna
The geographical center of Europe, Rock of Love and Hutsul Paris
(Russian version is Rakhov) is a picturesque town of Transcarpathian region, this is a land of rapid mountain rivers and mineral springs, a land of dense forests of the Carpathian biosphere reserve and refreshing air.
Rest in Rakhiv attracts by its color Hutsul culture, unique geographical location, and interesting tourists sights in Rakhiv and around the town. It is worth going here not only skiing but in order to get acquainted with an ancient history of Rakhiv, to wander the streets of the town watching from multilevel terraces amazing sceneries, to breathe clear air and talk to the hospitable locals. Places around Rakhiv are a land of original Hutsul culture. Whenever you look you see high mountains covered with dense forests and green aromatic herbs. That is the reason why Rakhiv is also called as a green fairy tale of Transcarpathian region.
The uniqueness of this area is determined by its geographical location. At a distance of 13 kilometers from the town towards Uzhogorod is a geographical point which is considered the center of Europe. Rakhiv was a part of 10 countries, principalities and kingdoms at different times.
Rakhiv is located on mountains slopes at an altitude of 430 meters above the sea level. Level differences between the upper and lower streets is 800 meters, it is the most high-altitude regional center of Ukraine. In Rakhiv region there are all seven peaks of mountains with an altitude of two thousand of the Ukrainian Carpathians: Hoverla, Petros, Brebeneskul, Rebra, Menchul, Pip Ivan and Gutyn-Tomnatyk.
Hoverla Mountain is the highest peak of Ukraine. When the weather is fine tourists’ groups very often with children climb of the mountain. More skilled and trained tourists choose the route to the Pip Ivan Mountain where there are ruins of the former Polish observatory the White Elephant. The most reckless people celebrate here the New Year. Those who fond of mountains change cozy room, soft bed and TV set for wailing of the wind in very comfortless ruins of the White Elephant, and the New Year’s party change for unique sceneries of Chornohora mountain range and friend’s hand in a hard time.
Rakhiv has developed infrastructure and long-term experience in providing rest service in the Carpathians. Resorts of Transcarpathian region are open for tourists both in summer and in winter.
First of all, winter rest in Rakhiv is skiing. Menchul Mountain slopes are not so steep and long, so beginners can ski here as well. Usually tourists like and chose Rakhiv because of small queues to the lifts, wide choice of accommodation in private sector and in different resorts, cozy cafes and restaurants, culture and originality of this region. Faster and longer tracks there are in the neighbouring village Bogdan. The lengths of tracks reach 2500 meters and level difference is up to 230 m.
The main ski tracks of Rakhiv
- Track of tourist complex “Tisa” is 1000 m length with level difference up to 230 m;
- Training track of tourist complex “Tisa” for beginners is 300 m length;
Ropeways in Rakhiv resort
- Rope tow - 1000 m length;
- Multi-lift - 300 m length.
At the tourists’ service
- Car park;
- Equipment rental;
- Services of instructor;
- Skiing and snowboard school;
- First-aid post
Accommodation in Rakhiv
Rakhiv is one of the most popular tourists’ centers of western Ukraine. This is a starting point of many tourists’ routes. There is a tourist resort “Tisa”, guests would be welcomed by hotels of Rakhiv as well as private houses. Cost for accommodation in Rakhiv as of 2012 is from 200 UAH per double room with all conveniences per twenty-four hours.
Prices for skiers in Rakhiv (2012 season, weekdays)
- Rope tow – from 5 UAH per a lift.
- Cost of rental skis – from 30 UAH per day.
- Cost of rental snowboards – from 30 UAH per day.
Entertainment and services in Rakhiv resort
- Russian bath;
- Sauna, billiards;
- Café, restaurant;
- Flights on a motorized hang glider;
- Horses ridding and horsed sledging;
How to get to Rakhiv?
You should take train to the station Volovets, then take the regular bus to the village Podobovets, this is about 10-12 km. By your own car you should choose the highway Kyiv-Chop, in the village Nyzhni Vorota to turn towards Mezhygirya and after 10 km you will find Podobovets village. Coordinates: 48°03′13″ N, 24°12′58″ E
Distances to Rakhiv
- Lviv – 270 km;
- Uzhgorod – 207 km;
- Ivano–Frankivsk - 137 km.
Nearest tourists’ sights and interesting places next to Rakhiv resort
- Geographical center of Europe - 13 km;
- “Rock of Love”;
- Karstic caves “Milk Stone”, “Crest” and the deepest mine “Friendship” in the Carpathians;
- Yasinia – wooden church of XVI century.
- Serednie Vodiane – wooden church of the year 1428.
- Lazeshchyna – wooden church of XVIII century.
- Dilove – wooden church of XVIII century.
- Bila Tserkva village – settlement of primitive men 100-40 thousand years BC.
- Pip-Ivan Mountain, abandoned observatory “White Elephant”;
- Hoverla Mountain – the highest peak of the Ukrainian Carpathians;
- Annual sheep cheese festival holding in September - Rakhiv;
- Museum of Mountains Ecology of the Carpathians biosphere reserve - Rakhiv;
- St. Johann of Nepomuk Roman Catholic church - Rakhiv.
Nearest ski resorts
Directory inquiries and important information on Rakhiv resort
- Directory inquiries - (03132) 2-22-22
- Rakhiv, str. Karpatska, 1 (03132) 2-1235
- Code distance communication 03132
- Rescue Service 21013
- Bus station 21558
* Photos Rahіv:
Rahіv 2023 Zakarpattia. Vіdpochinok in Carpathians